Friday, February 24, 2012

Brands that become the Product

This last week many of my friends, and even myself, became ill. It is not a fun experience, but one that most people have. When I went to the store to get some medicine and some "Nyquil," I actually did not purchase any Nyquil. Instead, I purchased the identical (in ingredients and treatment) store brand. But even beyond this one that I bought, there were at least 5 identical products possible from different brands in this category. However, Nyquil has become the name of the product. I do not say, "Hey, I'm going to go grab some Kroger Nightime Cold Remedy." Nyquil has branded the entire category as its own name, so that as soon as someone is sick, they think of it. This concept obviously transcends product lines and categories. I'm sure everyone has heard of the Kleenex example. Many people use the term Kleenex to talk about tissue paper. If you just listen, you may hear someone ask, "Would you like a Kleenex?" Kleenex is, however, simply one brand that makes tissue paper. But, they have (similarly to Nyquil and nightime medicine) engrained their brand name into consumers' minds so that their brand became the term used by many people to describe the product. What more could a marketer ask for? If the consumers automatically say your brand name when they are thinking, truly, of a product category, you've won. Now, some people, such as myself, then think we can "beat the system," and thus purchase the non-brand name products of such items. Of course, it may also be that I am merely a college student, and cannot afford those brand names.

No comments:

Post a Comment